The Mercy Hospital Joplin’s Summer Student Nurse Extern Program offers nursing students with at least two semesters of nursing school, the opportunity to gain valuable clinical knowledge and skills through temporary summer employment. The program supports the student nurse's professional development as it provides a skill development with an RN Mentor that works closely with the Student Nurse Extern (SNE) in a supportive environment. The Student Nurse Extern Program is held during the months of June and July. It offers a variety of clinical areas in which to perform nursing duties.
Students will have the opportunity, under the supervision of a registered nurse, to:
- Provide direct patient care and perform clinical nursing skills.
- Increase levels of clinical competence and clinical judgment by relating nurse theory to practice.
- Apply the nursing process.
- Refine communication skills with patients, families, and multi-disciplinary health team members.
- Develop professional relationships with unit staff.
- Demonstrate increased professional accountability.
- Assume responsibility to seek potential learning experiences.
- Explore, as a pre-professional, the scope of nursing practice.